Difference: MuSunRun3Mail (1 vs. 2)

Revision 22011-04-22 - PeterWinter

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="MuSun9Sep2010"
Deleted:
<
<
Dear Sasha, dear Claude,

In line is my update to Sasha's original email from our discussion today.

On 9/8/10 11:13 AM, Peter Kammel wrote:


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 17:00 8.09.2010 discussion
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:32:06 +0200
From: Alexander Vasilyev <vassilie@mail.pnpi.spb.ru>
To: Claude Petitjean <claude.petitjean@psi.ch>, "Kammel, Peter" <kammel@npl.uiuc.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

we have to discuss:

1. New pad plane. Now we have old pad plane. We found the problem with the connection some pads to the ground. They will be disconnected and we will install spacers into the connectors to avoid it. So, we can use old pad plane.

If new pad plane will be ready at least 10 days before the beam time we can install it. But we have to test it at least ones at low temperature before the beam time.

So, I have to know from Peter about status of new pad plane.

We will test pad plane at LN2 temp this week. If it works, we will order Au pad planes next Monday.
We will do our best, but at this point it is unclear whether we will have the new pad plane already for this
run. As regards the mounting, Marat will post the latest inventor files and instruct how the pad plane is
supported. I talked with the company and they will machine the right pad plane outline. Marat, I attached
the outline (without the pads, because those were not correct in the drawing). Please check my drawing to make
sure it fits into the grid frame.

2. We are working now mainly under the improving of the HV system. But up to now we do not have clear strategy. Clear that we have to make some current sink from the insulations or to make the HV lines naked. We will make some tests. I propose to postpone discussions of HV system.

We discussed aspects of the best procedure.

3. Grid. We have now grid from the magnetic material (Covar). Some calculations of Laus demonstrated that we need new grid in the future. These calculations we have got only week ago. To my mind we do not have any chance to produce new grid now. Technology for the new grid we can discuss later.

I do not have filling: can we do something with the old (Covar) grid? Perhaps we can demagnetize grid before installation - it is not so difficult. Or to change the direction of the external magnetic field with the minimum influence of the grid material?

Claude, please contact Bernhard again on the calculation with vertical field. Also Bernhard should define
the notches in the flange for his conductor. If the vertical field does not work, we will give up on the
magnetic field and mu+ for this run.

4. We have some current and clear jobs:

vacuum system - we had Ne leak - systematic tests and changing of the sealing

CHUPS reparing - we had some leaks in Swagelok connectors

and so on.

5. We have to have common plan of steps. When we will have some tests, when the system has to be in the beam line?

We can start moving into the area on Oct 4. Originally UW planned to work on the ePC before that and
lift it out of the area to gain access. With Michael's visa issue and Peter's schedule, we won't have time,
so we will try to fix the ePC electronics in the first run week.

We will have a telconf with the US collaboration on Thursday, but probably there is not need to arrive
before the last weekend in Sep. The end of the run will be underserved, maybe Tim and others
could cover that period. We'll discuss that tomorrow.

6. Peter points out there was a big issue with noise pick-up last run. Sasha please plan time to
improve that during the preparations. We also have to foresee time to improve the noise situation
with everything installed in the area. Move WFD crate etc? Better cables. We need to analyse our current data.

7. As regards electronics, we produced the new back-plane and we will send it to PSI as soon as possible, together with some of Genna's new amps and preamps, which we also shipped to the US.

8. Peter asked whether we should be prepared to give up Nov, if in Oct it turns out that we cannot not
reach production stage. Claude believes, the new MSR installation is not ready for Nov.


With best regards Sasha.
--
Dr. Vasilyev Alexander
Head of the Laboratory of Cryogenic and Superconductive Technique,
Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, Russian Academy of Science.

 \ No newline at end of file
Added:
>
>
Please go to https://muon.npl.washington.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/MuSunRun3Mail
 \ No newline at end of file

Revision 12010-09-09 - PeterKammel

Line: 1 to 1
Added:
>
>
META TOPICPARENT name="MuSun9Sep2010"
Dear Sasha, dear Claude,

In line is my update to Sasha's original email from our discussion today.

On 9/8/10 11:13 AM, Peter Kammel wrote:


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 17:00 8.09.2010 discussion
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:32:06 +0200
From: Alexander Vasilyev <vassilie@mail.pnpi.spb.ru>
To: Claude Petitjean <claude.petitjean@psi.ch>, "Kammel, Peter" <kammel@npl.uiuc.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

we have to discuss:

1. New pad plane. Now we have old pad plane. We found the problem with the connection some pads to the ground. They will be disconnected and we will install spacers into the connectors to avoid it. So, we can use old pad plane.

If new pad plane will be ready at least 10 days before the beam time we can install it. But we have to test it at least ones at low temperature before the beam time.

So, I have to know from Peter about status of new pad plane.

We will test pad plane at LN2 temp this week. If it works, we will order Au pad planes next Monday.
We will do our best, but at this point it is unclear whether we will have the new pad plane already for this
run. As regards the mounting, Marat will post the latest inventor files and instruct how the pad plane is
supported. I talked with the company and they will machine the right pad plane outline. Marat, I attached
the outline (without the pads, because those were not correct in the drawing). Please check my drawing to make
sure it fits into the grid frame.

2. We are working now mainly under the improving of the HV system. But up to now we do not have clear strategy. Clear that we have to make some current sink from the insulations or to make the HV lines naked. We will make some tests. I propose to postpone discussions of HV system.

We discussed aspects of the best procedure.

3. Grid. We have now grid from the magnetic material (Covar). Some calculations of Laus demonstrated that we need new grid in the future. These calculations we have got only week ago. To my mind we do not have any chance to produce new grid now. Technology for the new grid we can discuss later.

I do not have filling: can we do something with the old (Covar) grid? Perhaps we can demagnetize grid before installation - it is not so difficult. Or to change the direction of the external magnetic field with the minimum influence of the grid material?

Claude, please contact Bernhard again on the calculation with vertical field. Also Bernhard should define
the notches in the flange for his conductor. If the vertical field does not work, we will give up on the
magnetic field and mu+ for this run.

4. We have some current and clear jobs:

vacuum system - we had Ne leak - systematic tests and changing of the sealing

CHUPS reparing - we had some leaks in Swagelok connectors

and so on.

5. We have to have common plan of steps. When we will have some tests, when the system has to be in the beam line?

We can start moving into the area on Oct 4. Originally UW planned to work on the ePC before that and
lift it out of the area to gain access. With Michael's visa issue and Peter's schedule, we won't have time,
so we will try to fix the ePC electronics in the first run week.

We will have a telconf with the US collaboration on Thursday, but probably there is not need to arrive
before the last weekend in Sep. The end of the run will be underserved, maybe Tim and others
could cover that period. We'll discuss that tomorrow.

6. Peter points out there was a big issue with noise pick-up last run. Sasha please plan time to
improve that during the preparations. We also have to foresee time to improve the noise situation
with everything installed in the area. Move WFD crate etc? Better cables. We need to analyse our current data.

7. As regards electronics, we produced the new back-plane and we will send it to PSI as soon as possible, together with some of Genna's new amps and preamps, which we also shipped to the US.

8. Peter asked whether we should be prepared to give up Nov, if in Oct it turns out that we cannot not
reach production stage. Claude believes, the new MSR installation is not ready for Nov.


With best regards Sasha.
--
Dr. Vasilyev Alexander
Head of the Laboratory of Cryogenic and Superconductive Technique,
Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, Russian Academy of Science.

 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback